Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veterans Day

I always joke that I expect a call from the White House on Veterans Day.

I understand why the last occupant of the place never called since he didn't give a shit about the people that were killed and maimed as a result of his Oedipal complex and my opposition to it. I voted for Barry and expected better from him but he continues the ill fated adventure in Afghanistan. Clinton waged a half assed effort in the Balkans and his predecessor had a violent reaction when oil supplies were threatened as any (oil) junkie would.

Some of you know that I wore the uniform of the United States Air Force after high school.

During my time in the service the United States engaged in 3 significant military actions on the orders of President Reagan. The bombing of Libya was justified but didn't deter them from taking down an airliner over Scotland a few years later. I knew the navigator in the F-111 that went down. Although I didn't know it at the time I was part of the planning of the raid. In the Beirut fiasco a good friend who was a load master on a C-130 got shot up on the tarmac of the airport, 241 Marines later died when their barracks was blown up after the US took sides in a civil war. The next day the US invaded Grenada.

I hate war.

6 comments:

Pope George Ringo said...

NOt to mention that Iraq pretty much bankrupted us. W will be remembered as the prez who cut taxes while we were at war; not exactly an astute businessman, Huh??

Anonymous said...

I hate war as well. I will never forget when I was in the Navy. We went to battle stations because of the possibility of evacuating an embassy. I made the comment to a 30 year marine warrant officer, that we should just go in and kick ass.
I was young and had never seen battle.
He sat me down and told me the realities of war. He ended the conversation with a comment I have never forgotten.
"The ones who shout the loudest to go to war, are the ones who have never experienced the horrors of war."
Recent history seems to prove him correct.

Anonymous said...

You got that right- I was in 71 to 74, stationed in Germany. My MOS wasn't needed in 'Nam, so I lucked out. We had some guys that were running their mouths about being there, but never saw action. The ones that did didn't want to talk about it AT ALL....

Mark said...

Excellent blog.

Fancy the content I have seen so far and I am your regular reader of your blog.

I am very much interested in adding http://gort42.blogspot.com/ in my blog http://the-american-history.blogspot.com/.

I am pleased to see my blog in your blog list.

I would like to know whether you are interested in adding my blog in your blog list.

Hope to see a positive reply.

Thanks for visiting my blog as well !

Waiting for your reply friend !!!!!

PoorRichard said...

War sucks, it always has and it always will. I look forward to the United States calling it quits and bringing home every member of the military regardless of where they serve. Close every military installation in every foreign country. Screw the world and come home!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your service.