Larksville resident Renee Ciaruffoli-Taffera is the first candidate to announce a bid for Luzerne County Council. CV: She was an active member of the "Friends of Home Rule" campaign committee and aggressively campaigned for the successful adoption of the charter. Since then, she has attended and participated in more than 160 meetings and forum events.
She has been a regular at council meetings raising concerns about the prison K-9 unit and advised that the county should ignore the Affordable Care Act until it's fully implemented in 2014.
On her website Renee4council.com she lists 45 cost savings ideas.
3. Consider abolishing flood authority, bring in-house reduced
6. Re-negotiate Collective Bargaining Agreements like we mean it.
8. Consider outsourcing functions through attrition
17. Eliminate Passport Office, it's a Federal mandated function, not
County (not a profit center)
19. Lease moon lake pool to a for-profit organization (get a piece
of the action)
29. Have employees pay a greater share of health benefits.
37. Eliminate monthly fee for Kronos
system and get rid of it all together.
44. Stop monetizing delinquent tax claims
She is running for a Democratic nomination.
A toilet on a candidate's website might be a first.
5 seats on the Luzerne County Council are spot are up
for reelection next year. Democrats Elaine Madden Curry and Linda
McClosky Houck and Republicans Harry Haas and Eugene Kelleher along with
Independent Rick Williams were the bottom 5 of 11 elected in 2009 so their seats are up this time. The other 6 seats will be decided in 2015.
1 minute ago