Saturday, August 31, 2013

Barletta on Syria

WASHINGTON – Congressman Lou Barletta, PA-11, today issued the following statement regarding President Obama’s call for Congressional approval for military action in Syria:

“I applaud President Obama for agreeing that it is imperative that he consult with and receive the authority of Congress before taking military action against the Assad regime in Syria.  America is at its strongest when proper channels are followed and the nation speaks with one voice. 

“I look forward to examining the case the president said he would lay out, including important intelligence involving the use of chemical weapons in Syria.  I am also interested in hearing what overriding American national security interests are at stake to make it appropriate to engage in military strikes.

“There are many concerns involved in the debate.  Rogue nations have threatened to attack Israel in retaliation for any American action.  There is also the very real fear that Al Qaeda is heavily involved with the rebel forces which would seemingly benefit from our intervention.  Finally, it is troublesome that even our closest ally, Great Britain, has rejected participation through a vote of its Parliament. 

“I will take all of these factors into account as I determine whether I will vote to authorize the use of force in Syria.”  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lou will vote for war

Anonymous said...

I will campaign against Lou as fiercely as I campaigned for him if he votes for war.