Friday, November 18, 2005

Barry Goldwater


I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

His most famous quote. The man was true to his beliefs and has always been one of my favorite political figures of my lifetime.

Some other gems:

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

The income tax created more criminals than any other single act of government.

You don't have to be straight to be in the military; you just have to be able to shoot straight.

If everybody in this town connected with politics had to leave town because of chasing women and drinking, you would have no government.

You don't need to be 'straight' to fight and die for your country. You just need to shoot straight.

However, on religious issues there can be little or no compromise. There is no position on which people are so immovable as their religious beliefs. There is no more powerful ally one can claim in a debate than Jesus Christ, or God, or Allah, or whatever one calls this supreme being. But like any powerful weapon, the use of God's name on one's behalf should be used sparingly. The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following their position 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money or votes or both. I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in "A," "B," "C," and "D." Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me? And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of "conservatism

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember Barry saying once, at the beginning of the Reagan presidency that He would kick Jerry Falwell's ass for making abortion a political issue. He was right when he once said "YOu cannont legislate morality." I miss the old line conservatives; they had class and honor.

Gort said...

We are having some equipment problems at Gort42. I'm using my WEBTV but it won't let me post. I should be back up soon.

LVDem said...

Lilik over at Grassroots from time to time has called me Boldwater for being out of the mainstream of my party and for preaching a message that sounds like Goldwater's message not in substance but in style. I actually took it as a compliment b/c I think Goldwater is the kind of conservative that we need to elevate b/c they aren't out their to divide and conquer. They are out their to solve problems and find a ground on which everybody can stand.