Sunday, April 15, 2007

Sell the Barons/Yankees


What a start to the baseball season. The Phillies are winning one game a week and are on a pace to go 44-118 which would set a new major league record for losses. A-Rod is winning games with walk-off grand slams and Dice-K was outpitched by Seattle Mariner hurler Felix Hernandez.
Now Lackawanna County Commissioner Robert C. Cordaro’s claims that agreements with SWB Yankees LLC take politics out of the baseball operation. The clowns that run Lackawanna County lost the Phillies franchise and come out of it looking like heroes because they landed the Yankees AAA team. Even running ads that feature Brian Cashman singing Cordaro's praises. Now that there is possible windfall involved the Luzerne County Commissioners what a piece of the action and typically are throwing insults at each other. As ugly as this process has become I'm glad to see the team being sold to people who know what they are doing. The government shouldn't own a baseball team as I've said over and over.
My favorite local cartoonist John Cole had this to say about Cordaro:
Lackawanna County Commissioner Bob Cordaro has long struck me as one of the most impolitic politicians I've ever watched. Short of temper, publicly disdainful of anyone who questions his policies (to say nothing of his brilliance) and never one to shy away from pointing out his opponents' intellectual shortcomings, he is the consummate grump.
From the Inbox:
I was kinda shocked you didn't mention anything about the stadium fight between Skrep and Cordaro, knowing our shared passion for the game of baseball. I don't know what Skrep was talking about when he said Luzerne County should get a share because our fan's go there. Should we have them call up Mayor Bloomberg and demand that the big Yankees give us money because Luzerne County fans go there. They should just settle it and call it the Scranton Yankees and the Wilkes-Barre Penguins. Both stadiums were purchased by those two respective counties. If what Lackawanna County is saying is true then we shouldn't be entitled to more than what they say we are. I guess when you hope to add new programs, it benefits to try to snatch money from everyone else. I guess Skrep is just trying to be the Ed Rendell of NEPA. I'm still a little ticked they are called the Yanks because I won't buy a shirt that says Yankees due to my love for the Sox but in the end I am allowed something that a ticket price entitles me... Heckling the next generation of Yankees, if they aren't traded for over the hill power-hitters.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Lackawanna County has actually got there crap together up there, let's try to do something about Luzerne County and get out of our NEPA "Life hates me" attitude