Saturday, February 03, 2007

Viacom vs. YouTube

I understand copyrights and their purpose but it seems to me that a bit of an overreaction is going on.


SF Chronicle: YouTube, the popular online video site, has begun removing more than 100,000 unauthorized clips belonging to Viacom -- everything from snippets of Jon Stewart's "The Daily Show" to Nickelodeon's "SpongeBob SquarePants."
The purge comes after Viacom demanded that YouTube take down the material, accusing the site of violating its copyrights. Viacom says it's the largest order to delete videos it has ever made.


How short sighted are these people? Sure the law is probably on their side but if I post a clip of the Daily Show how am I hurting them financially? If anything it creates more interest the show and when more people tune in that results in more ad revenue. Let's post some YouTube:





<

1 comment:

Jacq said...

I heard about that! I thought it was a joke! They'd better check jibjab, too.