Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Arlen Specter in Wilkes-Barre

Senator Specter was in Wilkes-Barre yesterday touring the new muli-million dollar over budget and behind schedule parking garage (intermodal transportation center) promising more money for the project. The city needs another $500,000 to replace sidewalks on Public Square. The Blogfather has documented the incompetence of the last administration in doing simple maintenance especially because the materials have been available for years. On a side note Mark is feeling bit neglected by the local blogosphere so I thought a little link love would be appropriate.

While in the area Specter picked up the endorsement of a couple of local unions. Specter has declined a debate invitation from Meet the Press so his Democratic challenger Joe Sestak and Republican Pat Toomey are going to try to recreate the magic of the Alllentown beer summit.

A few months ago the reports I was getting was that Sestak's campaign was a mess. He could show up on MSNBC all the time but his campaign couldn't bother to return a phone call or send out an email alerting local supporters when he would be in town. That is improving.

In his latest web ad he slams President Obama for supporting Specter despite his own support of Hillary Clinton in the primary.





I really can't make up my mind in this race. I've never been an Arlen fan but Sestak's campaign has been just so incompentent until lately.

11 comments:

zorcong said...

I have tears in my eyes. Gort, I feel the link love.

Stephen Albert said...

Is that Oasis playing in the background? It sounds almost "Wonderwall"-ish. I'm thinking that's the best part of the video.

Anonymous said...

I don't want an 86 year old Senator representing me or my country. Sistax may not have a great campaign staff but as an individual, he is a great candidate. He needs more hands on management of his campaign or at the very least, a new and experienced campaign manager.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Sestak. Arlen is technically the junior Senator from PA, so we don't really lose much by electing his scrawny ass out of office

Anonymous said...

Arlen voted for Mccain/Palin,Bush and Satan twice. Im voting for Joe

Tony Thomas said...

I'm voting Sestak as well. For one I cannot trust Specter. But I do agree that Sestak's campaign has not been run well thus far and I hope they pick up sooner rather than later.

Big Dan said...

OT: Democracy NOW! in depth coverage of hydraulic fracking. This is very good:

AMY GOODMAN: We turn now to the latest in the growing public scrutiny of the natural gas drilling practice known as hydraulic fracturing, or fracking. The House Committee on Energy and Commerce has launched an investigation into whether fracking is contaminating water supplies and posing other dangers to the environment and public health.

The Energy committee’s top two Democrats, Henry Waxman of California and Ed Markey of Massachusetts, have asked eight oil-field companies to disclose the chemicals they’ve used and the wells they’ve drilled in over the past four years. Last week, Waxman also revealed two of the largest gas drilling companies have pumped hundreds of thousands of gallons of diesel-based fluids into the ground in violation of a voluntary agreement with the Environmental Protection Agency.

The developments come amidst a major environmental debate over hydraulic fracturing here in New York and surrounding areas. Both the federal EPA and New York City’s environmental agency have come out against state plans to allow natural gas drilling inside the Marcellus Shale watershed, which supplies drinking water to some 15 million people, including nine million New Yorkers. On Wednesday, state regulators in Pennsylvania will open a public comment period on a proposal for drilling permits in the Delaware River watershed.

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/2/23/congress_to_investigate_safety_of_natural

Just click "play" on the video and watch it. You had several posts about this.

Austin said...

The Sestak campaign finally asked me to do something and I sent a letter to the editor of the TL in response to the Specter article.

Anonymous said...

What's the difference between these two assholes?

Dana said...

Our esteemed host wrote:

I really can't make up my mind in this race. I've never been an Arlen fan but Sestak's campaign has been just so incompentent until lately.

That's easy enough: vote for Pat Toomey! I certainly will.

Anonymous said...

I am supporting Sestak. Sestak was not a Democrat until later either, although he was an independent, not a life long, Bush supporting, anti-worker Republican.

I also think Sestak will do more for health care reform in the Senate than Specter, who does not seem to care enough.

Lake Ariel Liberal