Monday, November 03, 2008

Humphrey

RIP 2002-2008





This is a pet blogging post that I didn't think I would have write for several years. Yesterday started off as a normal Sunday. I got up early to watch the talking heads shows, made coffee and let the dog out to chase the squirrels in the yard. Later in the day I had an errand to run down the street so I took Humphrey for his walk. When we got home I took off his harness and went into the kitchen to work on my honey do list when he let out a loud yelp. We both ran to the living room to find him on the floor and he stopped breathing a minute later. He showed no signs of being sick and our vet said there is almost no way to find out why a healthy 6 year old dog would just drop dead. This brings back a flood of memories of friends and family members who were taken before their time. It's reminder to cherish every day that you walk this earth.

A friend sent this:




He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds. He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea.


He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being: by the way he rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him.(I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.)


When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive.
When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile.
When I am happy, he is joy unbounded.
When I am a fool, he ignores it.When I succeed, he brags.
Without him, I am only another man.
With him,I am all-powerful.
He is loyalty itself.
He has taught me the meaning of devotion.
With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace.
He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant.
His head on my knee can heal my human hurts.
His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things.
He has promised to wait for me...whenever...wherever--in case I need him.
And I expect I will--as I always have.
He is just my dog.

14 comments:

prsent said...

Gort,

I'm really sorry to hear about your dog. If you need anything, don't hesitate to email or call me.

AboveAvgJane said...

My sympathies to you and Mrs. G. I always enjoyed the pictures of and stories about Humphrey. One of our cats developed a blood clot about three years ago and died very quickly. You just never know. He was a beautiful dog.

McGruff said...

Gort and Mrs. G,

Having been a dog owner and lover since a kid a very special spot in your heart must feel a void. Every time I lost one it was painful. Please accept my sincerest condolences. Although a dog is not a human your friend is as close as it gets.

Michelle HD said...

Gort & Mrs. G.

I'm so sorry for your loss. A dog is just as much as a part of the family as any human is. My grandparents just had to put their dog down this year, and I know how hard it can be to deal with the loss. I am just as shocked to hear about this as you are to tell the story. Although I never got meet Humphrey I am sure he was a good loyal dog. Remember. All dogs go to heaven.

D.B. Echo said...

Gort, I am so sorry for you and everyone who cared about Humphrey. They live just long enough to break our hearts.

I am so glad that he got in one last walk with you.

Anonymous said...

Our prayers with you and Mrs. G.

Anonymous said...

Thank you all for your kind words.

Humphrey was our baby. He was always a puppy. He was loyal, loving, protective and very devoted. He was so attached to us, and we were extremely attached to him.

We have no children, so it was like he was one of our children.

We knew he wouldn't be with us forever, but we never thought he'd be taken away this soon and so suddenly without any kind of warning or illness. He was just so healthy.

Right now Gort and I are hurting very much. We feel an enormous loss is our lives. Our cat, Ptolemy, is also feeling a loss. He lost his big brother and baby sitter. They were great buds. Today he was sniffing the spot where Humphrey died and just rolling there over and over again. It was heartbreaking to watch. It was like it was his way of mourning the loss of Humphrey.

I will miss my Precious Humphrey Dumphrey Doodle Dog (his nickname) more than anyone can know. I shed enough tears to fill a river, and I know I am not done yet.

I know, however, he's in Heaven with my dad and our last golden, Gorby, being fed Werther's candies by my dad. He always gave them Werthers, and they loved them; my dad loved them too, of course.

My dad taught both of them to give paw. I'm sure now he's just relaxing with them and enjoying their company until the rest of us join them.

Thanks again for all of your kind words. We appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Chris Casey said...

God bless you as I know your heart aches. Humphrey looked to be a beautiful friend, and I share your pain. I had to put my 17 year old Fred the buddy dog down a few years ago, and I still miss him. Now that Snuffy Dog and loodily Doodles are both over 12, I know what is eventually coming. I'm sure they will all play together in heaven.

Northern_Girl said...

Oh - this is just so sad. I'm sorry.

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to both you and Mrs. G. They really are members of the family. Please know that he was happy to his last day, chasing squirrels and going for a walk.

David Yonki said...

Gort: Sorry about the dog. Having had one that lived to be 18 and 1/2, I feel big time for you. 6 years...to young. But you have memories.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the loss of your dog. Animals are far better than humans and the best judge of character.
God Speed Humphrey.

~Sassy Fox

Anonymous said...

Gort,

I couldn't have been more stunned when you told me what happened on Sunday. All I can say is I am truly sorry for you and Mrs. Gort. I wish things were different and that we would have seen Maggie and Humphry playing together tonight. He was a wonderful dog and you and Mrs G. should be proud that you gave him such a good life! Love you both and I am so sorry for your loss!

PA progressive said...

Goldens are such great dogs and you've lost your dear friend. What a shame it was so sudden too. Having lost both my buddies I give you my deepest sympathy. At least I knew my guys were going, you had no warning. Keep the guy in your heart and your memories forever.