Thursday, June 05, 2008

The Triple Crown

There only has been 11 horses that have won the Triple Crown and just 20 who won the Kentucky Derby and Preakness but lost in the Belmont Stakes. There were 3 that took the prize in the 1970's, Secretariat 1973, Seattle Slew 1977 and Affirmed 1978 and before that the last triple crown winner was Citation in 1948. It looks like there is a thirty year cycle to this so Big Brown just might make history this Saturday.


The Saturday OT Committee and Operatic Society will gather to watch the Belmont Stakes at the usual place and time; Saturday, 4PM at Marks Pub 1287 N Washington St, Wilkes-Barre (map it).

I know I've ignored local issues lately and haven't been blogging as much as usual but I have an excuse. I hope to be back to normal next week.



This pic of Rapid Edward and Barbaro (below) is one of our favorites:






11 comments:

ccdemo said...

check out the hair on eddie. those days are long gone for the gov.

Anonymous said...

Pictured are one horse and one horses ass.

Michelle HD said...

Don't think I'm gonna be able to make it tonight, the hubby bub and I are going out for our 4th anniversary tonight. Unless I can convince him to stop for a drink. We'll see.

D.B. Echo said...

Ugh. Big Brown's last-place finish is a bad omen for Obama.

Sorry I missed tonight's festivities.

Anonymous said...

I like Mr Echo's comment! :)

A Kentucky boy, even though I now live in Pennsylvania, I was at the Derby when Seattle Slew won.

D.B. Echo said...

Dana, my comment was more mysterious than it needed to be. When Big Brown defeated the lone filly Eight Belles (and everyone else) at the Kentucky Derby, I decided that this was a good omen for Obama...and a bad one for Hillary, especially when Eight Belles was put down right after the race. Big Brown had an easy win at the Preakness, and everyone expected him to sail to victory at Belmont - just like a lot of people are expecting Obama to ride the wave all the way to the White House. The fact that Big Brown came in dead last is scary.

Michelle HD said...

I think we are all taking this a bit to literal. They are HORSES. I doubt they are going to predict who is going to win the presidential race. Its all coincidental.

sexyfemalemuscle said...

Big Brown on steroids, 2 legs of the triple crown.
Big Brown off steroids, dud.

Anonymous said...

Rapid Edward; you are too kind....

NEPAExpat said...

Was there salmonella on that carrot?

Anonymous said...

I'll bet if the odds were good enough, I'll bet Eddie would screw that horse.