Thursday, July 06, 2006

Russ Diamond



Russ has been very approachable. I recently asked him a question.

Why run for governor? It's a long shot and you may not even make the ballot. I don't know the ins and outs of the area you live in but it seems to me you would have a better chance ofbeing elected to to the state house or senate. Less signatures needed, focus your people and money, etc. Your thoughts?

Gort-

Everything that Pennsylvania voters have accomplished over the last year was a long shot. Keeping the outrage alive, ousting a Supreme Court Justice, getting the pay raise repealed, all the candidates we raised, and of course, the victories in the primary. Making the ballot despite the high hurdle is just the next step. Others have suggested that I run for a legislative seat, and if I were angling for a career in government, that might be a consideration. But I'd rather serve for one term in the best capacity possible, and then go back home. I would make a much better 'check and balance' to the legislature than to be buried within it. And practically speaking, I'm quite sure there aren't too many legislators eager to welcome the person who started PACleanSweep into their exclusive club! The culture of Harrisburg is what's really wrong in Pennsylvania, and a strong Governor - using his veto power - can focus public attention on bad policy and any circumvention of the Constitution. An Independent Governor would be in a position to bridge the gap betweenRepublicans and Democrats in Harrisburg and fight for the highest standards of integrity in the nation. By serving only one term, I'll remain independent, beholden only to the people of Pennsylvania. I don't put a lot of credence in political labels, but I consider myself a supporter of limited government and lower taxes. This is the only way to turn Pennsylvania around. We've tried it the other way. It hasn't worked. And frankly, we can't afford it. The things we need to address in Pennsylvania - real reform, property taxes, the gambling question, government growth, the looming pension crisis, education and health care - can all be addressed in a serious manner if elected officials just stop putting a higher priority on the next election cycle.The likelihood of business-as-usual continuing in Harrisburg under both Ed Rendell and Lynn Swann is high. Pennsylvanians deserve better than that. If you have any other questions, just let me know - thanks!

Russ Diamondruss@russdiamond.org

PS: I live in Lebanon County, where Brightbill & Zug were defeated. My own rep voted against the pay raise and won her primary 70-30.

http://www.russdiamond.org/intro.html

No comments: