Friday, August 04, 2006

Phire sale


I sometimes like to wait a day or two before commenting on the news that really matters. The Phillies traded five of their top players for a bunch of minor leaguers most of whom will never see the show. In the process they dumped a lot of salary and didn't have to eat any of it like they did with Jim Thome. The reports I've seen say they have about 40 or 50 million dollars to play with (based on this year's payroll) to improve the team. The question is will they put the money back into the players or will the owners just pocket the difference to make up for the lost revenue in attendence?

A few thoughts about the players that have departed. The big name to move was Bobbu Abreu. He hits .300 every year, gets a hundred walks and might be the most patient hitter in the game. I was watching the Yankmeee game today and watched him turn an 0-2 count into a double at 3-2 and then scored. Another one of my favorite players Sal Fasano was also dealt to NY and they made him shave his foo man choo mustache. Back-up catchers will always have a job. Corey Liddle is a solid starter and did well today in his first start for the Yanks. I was hoping that Rheal Cormier would end up in Boston but he went to the contending Reds. But the biggest addition by subtraction was dumping David Bell. I would have paid the other team to take him.

The result of all this that the Phillies just swept the Cardinals. Go figure. In fact they have only lost one game since they lifted all the bad Karma with the Bell trade. One of my favorite baseball blogs- I've Made a Huge Tiny Mistake-gives all the credit to Abraham Nunez taking over at 3rd base.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bobby is horrible i bet if you look at each importnanty abt Bell is more productive then bobby, and now Deluci and Shane the flying hawaian victorini will take over and both will get better as they ply more, I will miss Sal, I wish the Phills could have traded Liberthal anbd kept Sal and have Coast start the 33 year olf rookie(which is funnie cause Liberthart is a 35 uyear iold wash up)

Chris said...

thanks for the link man

bill - I must admit, your comment is hilarious.

Gort said...

Bell better than Bobby? I don't know what team you have been watching.In the clutch I will take Abreu anyday.

Gort said...

Chris, And thank you my friend. A few people are up late.

Bill, If you are talking anything like you are typing you may want to go to bed.

PA progressive said...

Addition by subtraction, just like with Padilla. These guys didn't care if they won or lost as long as they got their fat checks. Now get rid of Burrell.

I'd rather watch young, aggressive ballplayers busting their humps to win every night.

Chris said...

To say 'these guys' didn't care if they won is simply an uniformed opinion. Sorry.

Glen said...

I can't believe they dumped Sal Fasano, he was a fan favorite. Were they paying him that much?

Gort said...

How can you not like a guy with that moustache. He was cut because he wasn't hitting.

Utley's streak is stopped at 35, he was 0-5 tonight.