Wednesday, March 14, 2007

New Mayor in Laflin

Laflin is a little town in Luzerne County were the biggest problem lately is how to pay for garbage collection. The Mayor resigned to take another position following the departure of my old high school buddy Dave Parsnick as Police Chief. The fact that a little town of 1500 people can support a police and public works department is something I find amazing and predict it won't last much longer. They're maxed out on the property tax that is allowed without going to court and the only new revenue stream is the EMS tax that they were reluctant to levy but now have no choice.

Laflin is a nice place with well kept properties and one of my favorite restaurants, Dan's Keystone Grille. It has forest and creek and trails but I think it the most well known for is having one of the first upscale developments in the area called Oakwood Park or "millionaires row" as the locals call it. When I was a kid that was one of the best addresses around. I have no idea who lives there now but the houses and yards are well kept but nothing spectacular.

Now Dorothy Yazurlo is the new mayor and I wish her well. I don't know her very well but I've dealt with her professionally. I found her to be hard headed, detail oriented and fiercely loyal to her employees. Many tell me they miss her. She's also a ton of fun leading her Red Hat ladies all over the place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Laflin is the Hamptons of the Greater Pittston area; which doesn't say much.