Friday, August 28, 2009

Yes or No

Will Luzerne County Judges Peter Paul Olszewski Jr. and Thomas F. Burke Jr. suffer a similar fate as Pennsylvania Supreme Court Justice Russell Nigro? In 2005 Nigro lost his bid for retention because the state legislature voted themselves an outrageous pay raise in the middle of the night and the voters took their wrath out on him. There were other issues involved but it could be argued that he was a victim of "guilt by association."


So now the question is will Olszewski and Burke suffer because of the actions of the Juvie Brothers? They have not been accused of any wrongdoing but Conahan and Ciavarella are not on the ballot and they are. I don't have any polling to back it up but people I talk to are in a throw the bums out mood. That's why I also think the Republican row office candidates will do well.


I have never voted Yes in a judicial retention election and I'm not about to start now.

8 comments:

McGruff said...

Judge Burkes does not deserve the backlash over C & C. Unfortunately what I hear is the same as what you hear. I believe the row offices need a cleaning because they still don't get it. They maintain no accountability to the people, forget the commissioners. Closing down at lunch time to force furor is a lame tactic. Stagger lunches to serve the public, that's what people voted them in for. Account for each day of work. Forgot that is foreign to them.

Anonymous said...

Dont tell me these judges knew nothing I work in a factory and if you fart everybody knows enought of the bullshit

Dana said...

Our esteemed host wrote: "I have never voted Yes in a judicial retention election and I'm not about to start now."

Does that mean you have always voted against retention, or that you don't vote at all in such elections? This statement needs more work.

Mean Old Man said...

I'll be opting NOT to vote for retention of those two bums Burke and Peter Paul. Then, when the next opportunity arrives, maybe we can return those two fine young men Mr. Conahan and Mr. Ciavarella to the bench following the not guilty verdicts they receive at their trial. President Santorum, Senator Toomey, and once again the Honorable judges Conahan and Ciavarella!! I can't wait for the next few years to pass!!!!

Mean Old Man said...

One last thing: It will be nice to go to the mini mart without having to put up with young juvie thugs ruining my day!!!!

Anonymous said...

Mean old man gets job changing diapers at courthouse

Austin said...

Judge Burke would always help out with our mock trial competition when I was in high school. I wonder if he still does.

I was also on one of his juries. He seems very intelligent, experience and reasoned like a stoic. He will be the first time I vote to retain a judge.

Mr. Truth said...

Voting Yes for Judge Burke is the the only time I will be voting to retain anyone.