Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Ted Kennedy 1932-2009

This is a repost of what I wrote about my meeting with Ted after it was announced that he was ill.


I met the Liberal Lion about 20 years ago when I was on vacation on Nantucket Island. A bunch of us were in a bar when Ted a few other people walked through the door and sat down at the table next to us. I know it's hard to believe that both me me and Ted could be found in a drinking establishment.

One of my friends spotted him and got all excited and wanted to go over to him which we all counseled against but Jack couldn't be persuaded to let the man just enjoy his evening. So he goes over to his table and starts babbling some thing like Senator Kennedy, Senator Kennedy I think you should be President, I'm from New Hampshire but I would vote for you anytime and some other stuff. Ted was a little taken aback with that sycophantic verbal assault. With a surprised and annoyed look on his face he said "Get the fuck away from me kid." The rest of us watching this exchange erupted in laughter and a round of applause. Jack came back to the table with his tail between his legs and sulked for a while.

Later in the evening Ted came over to us and slapped Jack on the back and apologized for being so short with him. He sat down with us and bought a round and we discussed sailing, a little politics and few other things.

A personal note. My father died from brain cancer so I hope some people will resist the temptation to make tasteless Chappaquiddick jokes at this time and wish his family well.

10 comments:

Pope George Ringo said...

R.I.P. Senator. One of my most favorite possessions is an autographed photo of the Senator that I have had for 30 years. He was a true giant, respected on both sides of the aisle.

Coal Region Voice said...

WNEP couldn't let Mary Jo rest.

Pope George Ringo said...

Forget WNEP; just wait for Corbett to go on his Chappaquiddick rant. Guaranteed.

Anonymous said...

I feel for his family. If I knew them I would express my sympathies. I have trouble mustering sympathy for him. He let someone die a slow horrific drowning death and cowardly salvaged his senatorial career over her life. I guess his suffering was karma? I don't know.

It will be amazing how we glorify and lionize this sad excuse for a member of the human race. You can never erase cruelty or cowardice from your past.

McGruff said...

Gort,

Although you and I are on opposite sides of the political fence I was thinking exactly the same thing this morning while listening to Kevin Lynn about bashing Kennedy after his demise. The faults we write upon the sand, the virtues upon the tablets of love and memory. No purpose would be served by tasteless talk about Kennedy except some self fulfilling exctasy. Let him rest. No matter what people feel to his family he was everything and that is all that matters at this point.

Anonymous said...

AMEN

Anonymous said...

How about we say nothing good or bad? Why list his accomplishments if we can not list his failures. Let's just say good-bye

The Rockin' Traddy said...

We can't let his crimes fall by the wayside when the MSM is out there making Teddy boy sound like a saint. He is responsible for the death of millions of unborn children, and should have been charged with vehicular manslaughter. I will pray for the repose of his soul, but I hope Teddy repented his sins before he died.

Big Dan said...

We should ALL repent our sins before we die.

Anonymous said...

the liberal lion and 95% of democrats are communist !!!!! this is AMERICA LONG LIVE FREEDOM!!!!