Friday, March 31, 2006

Kathy Scott for Congress

Republican Kathy Scott of Williamsport, Lycoming County, is announcing her candidacy for the U.S. House of Representatives in the 10th Congressional District. She is challenging incumbent U.S. Rep. Don Sherwood, R-Tunkhannock.

From her website:

I am Kathy Scott, and I am running for Congress in District 10. My opponent, Representative Don Sherwood (Republican-Tunkhannock), has been in office since 1996. As a resident of this district, I feel that I have not been well-served by Don Sherwood. Listed in the table below are some of the reasons why. If you feel as I do, I hope you will vote for me in the May 16th Primary Election on the Republican ticket. As I go door-to-door throughout the thirteen counties in District 10 to meet you, I will not be distributing a fancy, expensive color brochure. I am running on a shoe-string budget and not taking money from PACs (Political Action Committees) or special interest groups to fund this campaign. I don’t want to be indebted to anyone but YOU when I vote on legislation. When I vote, it will be to protect and support your interests and needs.

The Tunkhannock New Age Examiner has an interview with some great quotes:

"The voters out there are very fed up and disgusted with the direction our party and our country are going," Scott said Sunday afternoon. From Pres. George Bush's decision a couple of weeks ago to okay a deal to sell operations of six ports to the Saudi Arabians to a national debt that has gotten bigger in the past five years than it was under all of the 42 previous presidential administrations combined, Scott said, "Something has gone dreadfully wrong. Responsible spending has gone out the window, and our president and Congress are acting like they have a credit card bill which nobody has to pay," Scott said. "Well, we're the ones paying, and our kids and our kids' kids will be paying enormous debt service."

But beyond that, Scott said she truly believes there's an arrogance of many elected officials today who just believe they are above the law. She said she was dumbfounded about one of Sherwood's campaign brochures which touted "integrity" as one of three key ingredients that the congressman believed were his strengths."Here's a man who has admitted that he cheated on his wife for five years and we're to believe he has integrity?" the woman who has been married for 36 years asked."......"He brought dishonor to himself, his family and all of us who helped put him into office, and that's just wrong," she said. "He shouldn't be in office if he's going to live his life that way. The people of this district deserve better."

This will be an interesting test of the discontent with Sherwood. If she holds him to below 70% in the primary he is in trouble with his own party. And I know just the guy to replace him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish a real candidate would run agaisnt Sherwood, like haggerty or Baker
But she has to check her facts hse said Don was elected in 1996, he was first elected in 1998

Anonymous said...

If Haggerty spent the few hundred thousand he will in the Senate race he could've unseated Sherwood.

I see his TV commercials all the time.

Anonymous said...

I see his TV commercials all the time too - thank God for the remote.