Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Malcolm on the move


Republican Snyder County Commissioner Malcolm Derk has expressed an interest in running for the Pennsylvania 10th US House of Representatives seat currently held by Democrat Chris Carney. I talked with Derk over the weekend and he sure sounded like a candidate. He criticized Carney for calling himself a fiscally responsible Blue Dog Democrat who "hasn't walked the walk" based on his votes for the stimulus package and health care bill. He said he would make a decision soon and would need $500K for a primary campaign if he has opposition. Right now it looks like he won't have a primary opponent and will probably get some help from the NRCC and other groups in the general election.
.
He may be a bit iffy but his pals have been filling my inbox and ringing my phone promoting his candicy Susquehanna University Young Republican Eric Sweeney set up a Facebook page Derk 2010 for Congress and I have been playing telephone tag with Matthew Rousu professor of economics at Susquehanna University who created Draft Derk for Congress.
The Daily Item has a story about the race .
.
What has Congressman Carney been up to lately? He voted for a long overdue reform of the health insurance industry. He had another town hall in Montrose and had to deal with tea bagger nonsense about health care and questions about gas drilling. He said he wants to study the problem of gas drilling. Sorry Chris study (delay)is just going to make the matter worse. Stop it now and let the EPA and the PA DEP get a handle on it and develop some rules.
Carney has been a champion of Dairy farmers , local fire companies and veterans .
He has a bunch of money and has been a good fit for the district,
I love this from WKOK: Derk says he’s seen the postings and talked with some of the bloggers.
He knows how to get his message out.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

"He sure sounded like a candidate." This guy seems to be the real deal. 2010 will be the year that Carney goes down.

Anonymous said...

Wish upon a little star but don't be so foolish as to believe in fairytales. Carney has been voting the best interest of his constituents and I don't see how anyone interested in good government could vote against him. Carney is the real deal and I think it is about time. I look forward to Carney and O'Brien working together to put NE PA back on the map with jobs and great representation. Carney gets my vote and my usual $10 donation. Wish it could be more but every dollar counts.

Anonymous said...

While Carney has done some things right- I don't think of him as a good government guy. I am really concerned about the earmarks he has received from the House Defense Appropriators. I have to think that Reps Murtha and Visclosky are on the brink of being indicted- and Carney benefited from the same money.

To be a good government person, you should be out in front of the party and demanding an end to these shady practices. Carney doesn't do that.

Mean Old Man said...

I'm no funny boy, but when I saw the photo of this fine young man with his wife and pooch I nearly cried. This is the America that I want to live in and if I were a resident of the 12th district, I would be proud to have young Mr. Derk representing me in Congress. God Bless him!!!

Big Dan said...

The cute dog puts him over the top.

Big Dan said...

He believes in the right to bear arms and will bring that value to Washington, and his father was a pastor and he, himself, sometimes preaches to congregations:

http://draftderk.com/index.html

Carney believes in the right to bomb Arabs with robot drone planes!!! Can you beat that???

Anonymous said...

There is a greater chance that the world will end in 2012 than this douche beating Chris Carney. I'm sure the Carney people are thrilled their veteran will be running against an overweight four-eyed albino who looks barely old enough to vote.

Anonymous said...

What is it with personal attacks. Why not just wait to see what the guy stands for and disagree with him on that - as I'm sure you will. Guys like Anon 12:37 are so petty - they reveal more about themselves with this type of comment than they do about this guy Derk.

BTW - heard Mesuer might run again - could be an interesting primary.

Anonymous said...

I just went to the web site and triedto learn all I can about Derk. There is a bio page and searching for his em ployment history, the only thing I found is that he is a guest speaker at local churches. Just what we need, I Congressman who doesn't know how to work and never had a job. Woe is us.

Anonymous said...

Look a little harder Anonymous 6:45. The guy has been a county commissioner for the past 2 years. That involves controlling a multi- million dollar budget and supervising the county government.

Anonymous said...

This is great to see - Carney hacks going after a guy who hasn't even decided if he will seek the GOP nomination.

Shows someone is scared!

Anonymous said...

Ugh if Meuser runs again that means we will have to put up with that fucking hack KAR again. I will vote for Muesr as long as KAR isn't around.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'd be able to vote for Meuser. How can you lose a primary election with that much money? Wait...hypocritical nonesense would do it. He's failed. Period. Meuser shows that money is not the only thing you need to win elections...you need TRUE values and promises that you can ACTUALLY live up to.

Meuser's camp was an EPIC fail.