Sunday, March 25, 2012

Kathleen Kane had 15 parking tickets dismissed







Pennsylvania Attorney General candidate Kathleen Kane had 15 parking tickets all dismissed by the same Judge, Scranton Magistrate Alyce Hailstone. The tickets were written between 1998 and 2001 and the dismissals happened between 2002 and 2009. In one case a ticket was written 3/12/99 but wasn't dismissed until 7/9/09, over 10 years. I don't think Scranton uses the boot for parking offenders.

You can check out the details below:
.
Ticket Issued... Court Date* ...Result
2/21/01... ........8/12/02 .........Dismissed/Closed
10/31/00 .........9/16/05......... Dismissed/Closed
8/28/00 .........1/28/02 .........Dismissed/Closed
2/28/00 ..........4/19/04 ........Dismissed/Closed
9/17/99 ...........5/16/07 .........Dismissed/Closed
9/17/99 ...........5/16/07 .........Dismissed/Closed
6/18/99 .........10/25/05 ........Dismissed/Closed
5/18/99 ..........1/19/07 ..........Dismissed/Closed
3/31/99 .........9/15/06 ...........Dismissed/Closed
3/31/99 .........8/19/05 ...........Dismissed/Closed
3/31/99 ..........8/4/05 ...........Dismissed/Closed
3/12/99 ............7/9/09 .........Dismissed/Closed
3/12/99 .........6/30/05 ..........Dismissed/Closed
1/12/99 .........4/22/04 ..........Dismissed/Closed
11/27/98........ 9/29/04 .........Dismissed/Closed





.




I asked the Kane campaign for an explanation and spox Frank Keel responded:




.




"Of the 15 parking violations noted, 11 were undeliverable, meaning the issuing entity had a bad address for Kathleen. After a certain period of time, if the issuing entity does not deliver the parking citation to the correct address, the citation is dismissed. The other four tickets in question were simply dismissed, presumably because there were mechanical problems with the parking meters."




.




Being a law abiding motor vehicle operator that hasn't had a parking ticket in over 15 years this response raised a few questions in my mind. The last time I got a parking ticket I found it on the windshield of my car and I wrote out a check the next day. I blew off a ticket once then received a notice that included late fees and realized that the city had my address by running my plate number. I'm not a lawyer but it is my understanding that I'm required to provide PennDOT with my current address when I fill out the annual registration.







14 comments:

Stephen Albert said...

Not good...

Alex W. Ellis said...

Kane's explanation is not believable.

If the eleven tickets weren't deliverable because the authorities didn't have Kane's address then how did they deliver the other four?

Do we really think they couldn't find the address of their own ada?

Also how do we know the other four had mechanical problems? This seems like corruption at its worst. Kane went to her friend the judge to avoid following the law.

David Diano said...

This is not so unusual. In Philly, there was that the meters had to be recertified every year, and people found out that a lot of meters had expired certifications. As a result, those tickets were dismissed.

Murphy campaign must be pretty desperate if they are going after parking ticket stuff. I guess they don't feel they can win on qualifications.

Fred Walker said...

One of the oldest tricks in the book is to go after parking violations but that is why it works. If she had 15 tickets quashed there is no telling how many tickets she actually paid. Check out the links and you will see that they were not all time expired meter violations. Do we really want a prosecuter, not a politician that doesn't obey the law?

Tom Borthwick said...

10 dollar meter tickets aren't going to sink a campaign and if this is all Murphy has he must feel very, very threatened.

Anonymous said...

The same has been going on in Wilkes-Barre for a long, long time. People with names we all know are issued tickets for meter violations, they don't pay the ticket, it goes to the magistrate, the magistrate sends out notices, then typically nothing after that. They sit for years. Now there is a new magistrate...let's see if things change.Why should we pay for the parking ticket officer, the time and expense it takes the magistrate's office to send notices out.

Big Dan said...

Several months ago, I got a ticket in WB for not parking within 12 inches of a curb on South Grant St. I got a ruler and measured, and I was well within 12 inches. I took pictures of the ruler/tires to the police station. He said he could've given me a worse ticket for my bumper leaning against the bumper of the parked car in front of me, which there was no other car when I noticed the ticket. He said, if I were him, he'd just pay the $15 (or $12, I forget), because it's not worth fighting it. - mystery ticket for not doing anything wrong

Big Dan said...

Between mystery tickets and these tow truck drivers, who the hell would even want to GO to WB?

Forrest Gump said...

Congratulations GORT on a barn-burner topic. WILK is going nuts with it on both Sue Henry's show and the afternoon show with Steve Corbett. You broke the story and deserve the credit which Sue gave to you, but Corbett did not. No surprise there.

Anonymous said...

Go to the public dockets on the AOPC website and take a look at the
traffic tickets filed in Magistrate Cronauer's court. You will see
many names you are familiar with. Search for example Peter J. Moses
and see how many tickets come up, how many are for meter violations,
how many were undeliverable. There are many others, that's just one
example and it's been going on for years. Really....come on....stop
wasting taxpayer money.

Gort said...

Forrest,

Corbett runs a blogger free radio show and I run a Corbett free Blog

kpoe said...

All these tickets were dismissed because Kathleen had a good lawyer that told her what to do, maybe even change her address in order to cheat the law....
We all know that any law has bugs and if you're a person that knows these bugs or have a good lawyer it's very simple to dismiss traffic tickets.
I was surprised only when my lawyer dismissed my first traffic ticket Toronto because after this first time I got used to it...almost all my tickets were dismissed in court by my lawyer and this way my license and insurance are intact:)

Las Vegas traffic school course said...

Law officials are failed delivered 11 tickets? how could this possible in such a advanced technological society ?

Erin Fred said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.