Sunday, July 18, 2010

Tom Marino is short on cash

Marino has $11K on hand for campaign

What a big disappointment this has to be for not only the Marino campaign but for the Republicans hopes for retaking the House. He only raised about $80K this reporting period compared with the six digit numbers being reported by other GOP challengers. In contrast, Congressman Chris Carney has brought in $173K during the reporting period and has $792K in the bank.

You can read Marino's 2nd Q report here. Some of his donors are familiar Don Ely, Harold Flack, Davis Haire, Dan Meuser and the Tunkhannock Strangler himself former Congressman Don Sherwood.

What I find interesting is who is missing. None of the GOP House leadership PACS or the NRCC has pitched in to help him.

Marino had a competitive primary that he had to spend money to win but it's been a month and a half since then. From what I know a candidate in either party has to show some fundraising ability before the national committees will commit to helping them. He has failed that test.

There a few bright spots in his CFR. He attracted the support of the lunatic fringe such as the Eagle Forum and Sarah Palin sent $3500.

NCFE reports:

Sarah Palin wants you to contribute to SarahPAC so that she can support conservative candidates. Funny, but her recent campaign disclosure notes that for while $87,500 was distributed to candidates, almost three times as much money, $210,000 was spent on consultants.

Last year Sarah Palin pulled in $2.13 million but spent only about $57,000 on candidates and causes.

I don't think that Sarah Palin is as stupid as many people think. Anyone who could parley a VP gig into $12 million in endorsements, book deals,etc. is on the ball. I do think that she is willfully ignorant about issues.

Sarah Palin campaign was a 'train wreck', insiders say

"Palin couldn't explain why North Korea and South Korea were separate nations. She didn't know what the Fed [the Federal Reserve] did. Asked who attacked America on 9/11, she suggested several times that it was Saddam Hussein. Asked to identify the enemy that her son would be fighting in Iraq, she drew a blank. Later, on the p
lane, Palin said to her team: 'I wish I'd paid more attention to this stuff'."


Stephen Albert said...

Sarah Palin is like diet ice cream: nice concept, looks good, just doesn't really deliver though when you actually get around to tasting it.

Anonymous said...

No suprise Marino didnt raise any money. Given all the public coruption going on in the area who wants to give to a guy who is shady.

Anonymous said...

It's too early to call this one. With the discord out in the 10th, I think this will be a close race regardless of how much money Marino raises.

We'll know if Carney is worried if he (or the DCCC) goes negative against Marino.

But you have to give Carney credit, he continues to pose and do the right things to get re-elected - even if he pisses off the left.

Anonymous said...

"Palin couldn't explain why North Korea and South Korea were separate nations. She didn't know what the Fed [the Federal Reserve] did."

Pretty sad, what is sadder is that probably 60% of US citizens don't know either.

Anonymous said...

But that 60% knew enough nt to vote for the jerk!

Anonymous said...

Yep that 60% voted for Obama. How is hope and change working for you. My employer just let go of 25% of her employees me included. Of the remaining 75%, 25% are being reduced to part time. The reason was increase in taxes. I just got back signing up to be a ward of the state.

PJ the WB Lefty said...

So I guess the answer was more of the same let the banks fail, the automobile industry fail, and leave heathcare to the free market totally. Going bankruptcy because of a serious illness is a noble and good part of how things currently work. I like that an HMO can throw you out of its plan because of a preexisting condition. Yes sir.