Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Looking to the fall-Luzerne County Judge

I got it wrong last night as 5 (not 4) candidates won both nominations. Barring some unforeseen scandal 5 of our 6 new Judges of the Court of Common Pleas will be:

Fred Pierantoni
Michael Vough
Joe Sklarosky
Lesa Gelb
Jennifer Rogers

I base that prediction on the fact that almost 10,000 people voted the straight party ticket in the 2009 election and the top vote getter in the Judicial election won with just over 38,000. Dick Hughes is again the odd man out topping the ballot on the GOP side but like 2009 he failed to garner the Democratic nomination. Molly Hanlon Mirabito snagged the Dem nomination so it is down to those 2 for the remaining fitting of robes on the 3rd floor. I have been hearing a lot of carping today that Terry Casey and Luzerne County GOP couldn't deliver the vote for the other 3 Republicans ( Haggerty, McMonagle, Saporito) on the ballot. I think that is unfair as judicial races are strange creatures. Let's see how the Republican candidates for county council do before we make judgements on his leadership. But I do think that they miss the organizational skills of Renita.

Another observation is I really don't like cross filing. The fewest voters have just decided an important election. The same goes for school director races. And don't get me started on state wide judicial elections.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terry Casey is the worst county chair ever!!! He needs to resign!

Anonymous said...

Excuse me, how about Mark Bufalino and now Kathy Kane? Wanna trade?

Anonymous said...

I plan to vote for four judge candidates:
Fred Pierantoni
Michael Vough
Joe Sklarosky
Dick Hughes

I'm sorry but I just don't consider Rogers, Gelb or Molly what's her name as being worthy of wearing the robe. Looks to me like a Lokuta ticket and the court room should not be a traing ground.

Anonymous said...

12:19PM, good point and good choices. I'm going in the same direction.

Anonymous said...

I'm voting all DEM's, all the way!!!

Anonymous said...

GO GIRLS GO GIRLS GO GIRLS

Anonymous said...

Well said Gort! COUNTY JUDGES CROSSFILED ARE the STRANGEST of ELECTIONS! I GOT TOLD (while working @ THE POLLS) OFTEN THAT so-in-so IS A REPUBLICAN. WHEN SHOWN THE pa gop printed ticket they (potential GOP Voters) told me they were LIED TO!
Dave Baloga PAGOP St Committee Member and Luz. Co. Gop 2nd Vice Chair