Thursday, April 20, 2006

Vermont GOP candidate returns Sherwood's money


WILLISTON -Republican U.S. House candidate Martha Rainville announced late Tuesday that she will return a $1,000 campaign contribution from a congressman involved in a lawsuit alleging domestic violence.
"I am returning a check to DON'S PAC, the political action committee formed by Rep. Don Sherwood, R-PA, because of allegations of domestic abuse which recently came to my attention," Rainville said in a statement.
Campaign officials say news reports were recently brought to Rainville's attention indicating that Sherwood had been accused of abusing a woman described as "an ex-mistress" during a reported five-year relationship. While no charges were filed in the case, an out-of-court settlement was reached late last year. No details of that settlement have been revealed.
Sherwood, who is married, apologized publicly to his family.


"I believe in strong family values and I take the issue of domestic violence very seriously," Rainville said in a statement. "I feel that to be consistent with my own firmly held beliefs I cannot accept this contribution to my campaign, and I will be returning the $1,000 check."

Sherwood is opposed by Williamsport resident Kathy Scott in the May 16th Republican Primary. The winner will face Democrat Chris Carney in the fall.

No comments: