Sunday, April 20, 2008

Three years of blogging

I have been doing this for 3 years now, hard to believe. Since I put a sitemeter on in August 2005 it tells me that there has been over 250,000 page views with current traffic of about 400 to 500 visitors a day and 1600+ posts . Thank you for all who read my stuff and and a big Thank You for all who bother to comment. I always wanted this to be a place to discuss things.

A week ago the Blogfather did a survey of the local blogging scene after being asked to and threw out a bunch of police codes that the rest of us don't understand. Another Monkey decoded it and I think according to this exchange I'm supposed to be dead.

The Yonk weighed into this discussion with his usual understatement and picked up this tidbit from a show on WVIA:

Coulter Jones, the youngest of the group in experience recounted his coverage of the 10th Congressional race which sparked a discussion about money in politics. Jones also said that bloggers just ran press releases and most times essentially did not vet or break news stories.


I will be the first to admit that I'm not a newspaper reporter. I look at this blog thing as being a letter to the editor that actually gets published without being chopped to pieces or a newspaper column without an editor. And yes, many times I post a press release unfiltered because things are moving so fast it's hard to edit it.

But don't tell me we don't do some original reporting. I don't know how many times Mark gave a rundown about the W-B Fire or Police Departments that showed up in the papers a few days later without attribution. They will always tell you that they have their own sources which may be true but who pointed out those sources?


In September 2006 I got a hold of a Don Sherwood invitation to a fund raiser on 9/11 that went flying around the Internet and was mentioned in the local papers a few days later. Lately I've examined the campaign finance reports from various candidates and there has been nothing in the press. This item may come up in the fall: Bigus gave money to Boback but don't expect the MSM to give me any credit.


Mrs G added this from the Flintstones:


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Gort for a place to vent.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on three years -- and especially on a quarter-million visitors; you've got me beat!

Bernie O'Hare said...

Gort, You're one of the best!

D.B. Echo said...

Happy anniversary!

It seems like just a year ago we were celebrating your second anniversary!

Danny Bauder said...

You're the man!

Congratulations, and many many more. Also, let me know about the Kentucky Derby.

Anonymous said...

Gort...
Congrats and thanks. It's never dull here...And to all the posters...especially all my friends over on the right...keep it coming!!

Anonymous said...

Gort,

Happy 3rd and remember guys and gals play nice.

~Sassy Fox