Thursday, February 14, 2008

This and that

I got a robo call from Comcast a few days ago saying that that they were going to change my cable lineup and tonight it has started. The first thing to disappear was Turner Classic Movies and now at 2:30 AM most of the channels have the same infomercial runninng. We'll see what channels we lose this time and if they really butcher it I might get a dish. Since Comcast took over from Adelphia we have lost 5 channels from our basic cable and the price has increased about $10 a month. Mrs. G just said "I'll take the Adelphia crooks anyday."

My inbox has been flooded with a few hundred messages over the last few days, I'm a popular guy. Many were the usual garbage that slipped through the spam filter and pleas from various campaigns begging for money. Every time one of you, my dear readers, takes the time to leave a comment blogger lets me know and you have been busy. My apologies but I just can't respond to every one. And many thank you for adding to the discussion. As far as some of you that have asked me specific questions if I haven't responded yet please re-send it because I may have accidentally deleted your message.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I made the switch to Directv. Couldn't deal with the constant changes in programming and rise in price. I did keep Comcast for my internet provider. I couldn't find anybody who offered service in my area that was better.

Anonymous said...

We have Blue Ridge Cable, and I have to say, they're better than what y'all have. Blue Ridge is adding channels, and pretty much does it without fanfare. I just flip through the on-screen guide and every few weeks notice another channel.

Of course, since you're up Wilkes-Barre way, maybe you can tell me what happened to Pennsylvania Morning, a 0500-0700 morning newscast that was a cooperative venture between WYOU and WBRE. It disappeared, and now Mark Hiller is doing the news -- without Kerri Shahen, who was the real reason to watch -- on WBRE. Unfortunately, Blue Ridge has WYOU in high-def, but not WBRE.

Anonymous said...

That's bulls---. T.C.M. is great.

D.B. Echo said...

And for just $2 per month PER TELEVISION, you can get a digital converter from Comcast that will permit you to view these channels, and all the others that Comcast will eventually change. They'll allow you to have ONE converter free of charge for twelve months, but after that, it's $2 a month. (Prices subject to change without notice.)

Not to be confused with the changeover to HD broadcasting, which shouldn't affect your cable signal...unless your local cable monopoly decides it does. Too bad there isn't some sort of Public Utilities Commission designed to protect consumers from predatory and monopolistic practices by service providers.

Save your receipts for the eventual class-action suit...

Anonymous said...

Just dump these losers (Comcast, DirecTV, Service Electric) unless you watch a LOT of TV. I buy the movies I want to watch (and they're even cheaper to rent), and it costs me less than it would cost to pay for satellite or cable service. Also you don't get a lot of clutter shoved right into the middle of the program, and you don't have to record the program so you can fast-forward through the commercials.