Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Russ Diamond for state represenative


From a press release:


ANNVILLE - Russ Diamond, founder and chairman of PACleanSweep, filed the required paperwork in Harrisburg today to appear on the Republican primary ballot in the 101st legislative district on April 22, 2008.

“The people of Lebanon County deserve a representative in Harrisburg who actually supports, obeys and defends our state constitution,” said Diamond. “My candidacy is a natural extension of the PACleanSweep mission – replacing career politicians with energetic, effective leaders who can deliver change instead of just talking about it.”

Diamond has pledged to strictly adhere to the provisions of Article II, Section 8 of the document, which clearly states that legislators are entitled to “salary and mileage for regular and special sessions as shall be fixed by law, and no other compensation whatever.”

“I will not take a pension. I will not enroll in the gold-plated legislative health care plan. I will not accept mid-term cost of living raises. I will not take any other perks. I will accept salary and mileage - period,” Diamond added. “If we can’t trust a legislator to abide by the plain constitutional language that outlines compensation, how can we trust that same person to protect critical rights such as our freedom of speech, religion and assembly and the right to bear arms?”

A few years ago I suggested to Russ that he should forget about being Governor and run for the state legislature. He had a few objections to that idea:
.
Others have suggested that I run for a legislative seat, and if I were angling for a career in government, that might be a consideration. But I'd rather serve for one term in the best capacity possible, and then go back home. I would make a much better 'check and balance' to the legislature than to be buried within it. And practically speaking, I'm quite sure there aren't too many legislators eager to welcome the person who started PACleanSweep into their exclusive club!
.

Maureen Gingrich is the Rep in that district. Why is that name so familiar?

No comments: