Thursday, June 01, 2006

I have nothing to fear

When the Nazis came for the communists,

I remained silent;I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,I remained silent;I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,I did not speak out;I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,I did not speak out;I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,there was no one left to speak out


First they came for the Muslims, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Muslim.

Then they came to detain immigrants indefinitely solely upon the certification of the Attorney General, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't an immigrant.

Then they came to eavesdrop on suspects consulting with their attorneys, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a suspect.

Then they came to prosecute non-citizens before secret military commissions, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a non-citizen.

Then they came to enter homes and offices for unannounced "sneak and peek" searches, and I didn't speak up because I had nothing to hide.

Then they came to reinstate Cointelpro and resume the infiltration and surveillance of domestic religious and political groups, and I didn't speak up because I had stopped participating in any groups.

Then they came for anyone who objected to government policy because it aided the terrorists and gave ammunition to America's enemies, and I didn't speak up because...... I didn't speak up.
Then they came for me....... and by that time no one was left to speak up.

Stephen Rohde, a constitutional lawyer and President of the ACLU of Southern California, is indebted to the inspiration of Rev. Martin Niemoller (1937).

4 comments:

Bernie O'Hare said...

I always liked that in its original form, and the new twist is certainly appropriate. It always kills me when people say, "Well, if I'm not doing anything wrong, what do I care if the government checks my library records ... wiretaps me ... searches me for three hours to enter a small municiapal building?"

Gort said...

I'm a criminal, you're one too.

LVDem said...

I kind of like the searches at municipal buildings. It's the most attention I get in a day.

Please know I'm kidding.

pissed off patricia said...

But when the FBI came to search the office of a Representative, the rest of the reps raised hell. If they have nothing to hide, what do they care?
Turn about is fair play.