Tuesday, June 13, 2006

ID theft


Sometimes they pass laws in Harrisburg that make sense.

From the PG: Don't be surprised if some day soon you get a letter with this disturbing news: A thief has swiped a computer file with your name, Social Security number or other personal financial data hoping to steal your identity and run up big bills in your name.


On June 22, Pennsylvania's Breach of Personal Information Notification Act takes effect, requiring companies to notify state residents if their sensitive personal data has been lost or stolen, exposing them to the risk of identity theft. The goal is to give Pennsylvanians an early warning so they can monitor their financial records for suspicious transactions and take steps to limit the damage.


This is a good idea considering I just received such a letter from the Veterans Administration.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I've recieved 4 of those letters in the past 3 months from various places. A couple of them were from placed I didn't even think I had any info at. Strange.

D.B. Echo said...

I became aware that I was a victim of Identity Theft in April 2001. Someone had tried to cosign for a student loan to the University of Honolulu using my name and SSN and an address in Florida. A keen-eyed employee at the student loan company suspected that an ID that was being used was a fake and initiated a fraud proceeding. Several weeks of hilarity ensued.

I don't think of myself so much as a victim and more as being ahead of the curve. In the near future, everyone will have their identity stolen.

Anonymous said...

I'm angrier than Ben Roethlisberger at a motorcycle safety course over the way the commie liberals are complaining about having their identity stolen! In my day we didn't have credit cards--you paid old Sam at the corner store and if you didn't have any money you starved! And we loved it!!! My old man would work 14 hour days in the coal mines and on pay day I remember my Mom pacing by the front door hoping that he would come home with the check and not be spending it at the bar. Sometimes pops would come home with the bacon but sometimes he would pop in at 2am with nothing and Mom would crack his skull with her trusty pie roller--and then we would have to live on ketchup soup for the rest of the week! But I didn't complain--payday was an exciting time for a little tyke like me--just waiting to see what would happen--I loved it!! But all the commies with their share the wealth ideas ruined it for all the little tykes of today. Now, if you have no money you just pull out the ol' hammer and sickle plastic and you got food, gas, commie rock albums or whatever you want!!! Even the kids today have these commie cards--and their spoiled by them--a damned kid today has no idea of the joy of being in misery!! So all you hippy freaks can take your identities straight back to Peking and Moscow where they belong!!! Damned Liberal Cheats!!!!!