Monday, January 02, 2006

Payback

Here we go as predicted.

The new Luzerne County Controller Maryanne Petrilla
has her marching orders and will team up with the commissioners and will screw with outgoing Controller Steve Flood as much as possible. Steve had some unflattering things to say about the previous pension fund managers and they sued him. He didn't accuse them of burning down their grandmother's house but pointed out they were not up to the job using some very colorful language. It's a bullshit lawsuit that should be dismissed on first admendment grounds but this is Luzerne County. If you want to silence your critics sue them and ruin them financially.

Then District Attorney, now Judge Peter Paul Olszewski Jr proved that point when he sued WILK radio host Fred Williams. At the time I thought it was very thin skinned reaction to a radio hothead and would just call attention to his allegations. But he won and Fred is no longer on the radio.

I miss Fred, I didn't agree with him most of the time but he did a good job of covering local issues. The only AM station that is even doing local content is WILK, but not much. I know some people don't like Kevin and Nancy in the morning but it at least gives you a counterpoint to the rest of the shit you hear from Rush and Hannity all day long. Sue Henry's show is interesting but I rarely get a chance to listen.

I know I'm rambling.

One thing I like about Olszewski is the way he holds the DA Dave Lupas to account. Lupas has not done a good job so far in the Hugo Selinski case. Most of the defense attorneys I know say he is not a very good lawyer and Judge Olszewski seems to know that. You remember Lupas, he spent $750,000 to get elected DA promising to lock up all the drug dealers, that's worked out well.

2 comments:

D.B. Echo said...

Here I thought that this entry would be about McGroarty's brother losing his job with - well, whatever the hell he was appointed to by his brother. I remember he was in charge of mutilating the cherry trees so they wouldn't blossom in the Spring, and when confronted about this, he defended himself by saying that he had no qualifications for the job and had no idea what he was doing.

Local politics exhaust and annoy me. I'm glad you're dealing with them so I don't have to!

Anonymous said...

The HUgo Case promises to be quite entertaining--after all here's a guy who in all likelihood is guilty and His Holiness has heard first hand from some of his friends in the Nunnery that they wouldn't mind having his shoes under their bed anytime! Shame on them! My point is that the case holds both legal and pop star qualities--the likes we have not seen since Wolsieffermania. Lupas had better get on the ball, and soon.