Thursday, August 03, 2017

Immigration

This comment was on a FB friend's wall. She may want to do some research, outside of Paris many people spoke to me in broken English and I answered in ridiculous French

Patricia Collins O'Reilly Please don't tell me that President Obama didn't have an ego. He was Mr. Slick. If you go back in American history, people that immigrated in the late 1800's or early 1900's had to pass a lot more than what President Trump is asking for. If people want to immigrate here, then follow the rules. Why do people that have lived here for 20 years still speak only Spanish - because we accept it - we have special education for people with English as a Second Language. When you live in a country, you should conform to their ways. Go to Germany or France and see how they refuse to speak English to visitors - they know it but won't. All we ask is that people are not wards of the state. That was the phrase that was on my mother and father's immigration permission letter in 1925 when they came to this country.


 This caught my eye and reminded me of my childhood growing up in the North End of Wilkes-Barre.


 Why do people that have lived here for 20 years still speak only Spanish 



From an earlier post:




 I grew up the north end of Wilkes-Barre. In the 1960's people spoke language's I didn't understand. There were stores I had had a hard time buying things because I didn't know Russian or Slovak. I miss that. Yes Grandma didn't speak English but her kids did. And their kids were fluent in the English language but couldn't speak the the native tongue. What a loss. My father encouraged me to learn a different language and after 4 years of taking French I went to France. I wish I had paid attention because I had no idea what they were talking about.

My point is that the immigrants of today will assimilate just like our grandparents did. Even if the first generation doesn't grasp the language the next will.
 

No comments: