Thursday, May 04, 2006

Kathy Scott for Congress


From a press release:

Don Sherwood (Republican—Tunkhannock) has falsely accused me, Kathy Scott (Republican—Williamsport), his opponent for U.S. Congress from District 10 in the May 16th Primary, of being a Democrat.
I have been a Republican since I first registered to vote at age eighteen. Don Sherwood’s behavior and voting record do not honorably represent the Republican Party I grew up in and to which I belong. That is why I am running against him.
I have never hidden the fact that I have switched my voter registration several times over the years in order to vote for candidates I know who are running in local primary elections. Switching my voter registration and switching my party affiliation are two different things. One is a purely functional decision in order to support a good candidate. The other requires a basic change in thinking and philosophy. I have not changed my philosophy or thinking.
I am a Republican who strongly believes in controlling spending, living within a budget, encouraging personal savings, supporting businesses that drive our economy, down-sizing federal government, and strengthening local and state decision-making.
Don Sherwood probably doesn’t recognize me as a Republican because I am a very different kind of Republican than he is. He has consistently voted with Tom DeLay and the special interest groups he represents, rather than considering the best interests of the people in District 10. Don Sherwood has taken over $2.2 million from PACs alone.
Mr. Sherwood does not talk about the many campaign donations he receives from oil companies and the subsidies he then votes to oil companies while they make record-breaking profits. He does this as our home heating bills and gas pump prices continue to go higher.
He does not talk about the confusing, mismanaged Medicare Prescription Drug bill which his vote gave as a gift to his pharmaceutical and insurance donors who benefited by the influx of new enrollments from senior citizens. He could have voted for an efficient prescription drug plan under Medicare, so that medication prices could be negotiated for cost-savings.
Don Sherwood doesn’t tell people that tax cuts he supported mainly benefit the wealthiest people and add to the national debt, already over $8.3 trillion. To help fund these tax cuts, he voted to reduce benefits which help middle and lower income families in programs such as Medicaid, student loans, veterans’ benefits, and job-training. These are only a few examples of being a Republican the Sherwood way.
This is not the way our government should run. I am fed up with this. That’s why I am running against Don Sherwood. My Republican vote is not for sale. I will represent only the people of this district. For more information about my candidacy, please visit my website http://www.kathyscottforcongress.com/.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lovely picture. she looks like Margaret Mitchener's sister with clean hair.