Sunday, April 16, 2006

Happy Easter


Mrs. G is a member of the Russian Orthodox faith and I am a (non-dues paying) member of the Church of the Generally Indifferent. So her Easter will be next Sunday and we will celebrate then.

A part of the Orthodox tradition is the blessing of the baskets after midnight Mass. When she first told me about it I'm thinking a couple eggs and a chocolate bunny. Then she pulls out a Yogi Bear size picnic basket and empties the fridge into it. So I drag that thing into the church and stand there for 3 hours while I hear the Priest chant. The acoustics in the church are awful and I can't understand a word that is being said. The best part of the night is a procession around the church with flaming torches and icons. But I feel a sense of renewal and redemption when I hear "Christ has risen."

I don't do religion well and the rabbit picture reminds me of Harvey.

5 comments:

Nicole said...

I was browsing through the blogs, and came upon yours. I know that you said you "don't do religion well" but it is neat that you can bless someone the way that you did.

Kendra Lynn said...

That is quite a bunny picture!
I found your site through Nicole's site.

I think Easter is such a beautiful time, and you know, it IS a wonderful feeling when you hear, once again, that Christ is risen. That feeling of renewal that you expressed is very valid and true.

Kendra Lynn

PennPatriot Blog said...

Cute Bunny!

Doctor Rick said...

You know, the Easter egg roll at the White house was laden with gay and lesbian parents donning rainbow colored trinkets (so you could identify them, silly rabbit) to show their kids are no different than others. I, of course, think politicising a childs event is not only a selfish act but also ruins the day for them.

This day's for kids!

LVDem said...

i was jeolous of the neighbor's kids who got to collect all those bright eggs.

That said, what is up with Peter Cotton tail. Did he meet up with Barry Bonds or what!