Tuesday, July 04, 2006

What does it mean today?

Checking out my blogroll today I came across at least 8 posts about the Declaration of Independence. As I celebrate our nations birthday here in my little corner of Wilkes-Barre, PA by BBQing some steaks and enjoying my neighbors fireworks it's great to be reminded of what a blessing it is to be a free people. Not that a few improvements couldn't be made as my fellow bloggers point out.

Next Direction dissects the document and points out "some eerie similarities between then and now." Carl at Simply Left Behind has some questions and advice. Another Monkey points out the contradictions. To celebrate the meaning visit PSoTD. Bernie takes it local at Lehigh Valley Ramblings. Big Fat Slob points out that the vote to throw out the British was taken on July 2, 1776. Plus we had a discussion about beer. The PA Lady came out of our recent adventure with mother nature high and dry. And she does the math. I think Mark says it best at Wilkes-Barre Online:

Today is the 4th of July, so I suppose I'm expected to pen something inspirational, something profound about the birth of our nation and all that goes with it's inherent freedoms and suchlike.


Let's just suffice it to say that I like living here and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

2 comments:

pissed off patricia said...

I just don't want anyone to mess up what we have left. I want to believe the govt. is honest and doing what's best for America and American citizens. I haven't felt that way in about five years and we have two and a half more to go before there is any hope for change.

I want our country back in good hands!

Anonymous said...

Peed of Patty; you are nothing but a hippy freak commie! I sleep a lot better at night knowing that our beloved country is under the control of great men like Pres. George W. Bush and Secy. Rumsfeld--who are fighting for our freedom from the terrorists the world over--along with our sainted Sen. Santorum--God Bless them all!! And damn you lying hypocritical liberals--if you all were in control we'd be speaking Arab now!!!!!