Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Good food


This is the first time I have figured out how to put an image on the blog. It took about an hour before I got it to work. It's great having a new computer with a lot of bells and whistles, I just need a kid to show me how it all works.

I remember a few years back when people got excited about an Olive Garden opening at the Wyoming Valley Mall. My reaction was so what. There are many great Italian restaurants in the area. If you live in Pittston or Old Forge you can drown in tomato sauce. I try to avoid chains but they are convenient. Every town in America looks the same with it's burger row and Holiday Inn and Seven-Eleven, etc.

That what makes Dan's Keystone Grill so great. The owners Dan and Mary greet you by name and ask about your life, your a customer and a friend. And the food will knock your socks off. My favorite is the prime rib. I like it mooing and bleeding and it always comes out perfect just as I ordered, hot and red. Mrs. Gort is very fond of the veal because it has the wine flavor and the alcohol is burned off. He is a great chef.

My point is shop local, we have many family owned businesses that blow the chains out of the water

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought this was a political site; whats all the stuff about poetry and restaurant promotion? Your off message.

Anonymous said...

SOme valid points made; I read an interview with actor Danny Aiello and he was bashing chains like the Olive Garden saying they wouldn't know real Italian food if it were shoved down their throats and that there were many five star Italian joints that may not get the publicity of an OG but have ten times better food. My own town of Pittston has some outstanding Italian restaurants and let us not forget the pizza throughout the entire SWB area--the best in the country--I personally know many people from out of town who take it back home with them.