Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Phyllis says slow down


My 3rd favorite State Representative Phyllis Mundy wants to put the brakes on this whole
Marcellus Shale drilling but I don't think she goes far enough. Mundy wants to stop new permits from being issued but I think the whole thing should be stopped until the regulators are up to speed and and have the manpower to enforce the regulations that are already on the books, let alone wait for all of the new laws that have proposed.

Right now the law allows drilling within 100 feet of a water source such as the Huntsville Dam and one of her bill's would push that back to 2,500 feet. Is that far enough? I don't know but I want this activity as far away from my drinking water as it can be.

Her colleague State Rep Eddie Pashinski is on board and now recognizes the dangers of fracking



“No one knew of the dangers involved in the fracking process,” Pashinski said. He said that until very recently he was unaware of just how many permits had been issued and how close well sites are to drinking water supplies.

“What happened is the floodgates opened,” he said. “I don’t think any of us knew how many well sites were leased out. The oil companies had a head start. What we’re trying to do is pull back the reins … put a hold on this. Let’s evaluate wherever we’re lacking and let’s address it.”



I'm asking all our Representatives state, federal and local for a statement on this issue and will publish the response unedited.

No comments: